Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: A7 built

  1. #1
    Inactive Member fabrice baucher's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2003
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i'm looking for plans to built A7 bass cabinets ... and advice if some did the same... and what speakers could fit with ?

    fabrice

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cddeluca@telocity.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I built mine many years ago. 5/8" ply, Elmer's wood glue, many slot-head screws (would use Phillips head if I had it to do over). You will be doing some puttying. I tried several products and settled on Durham's Rock Hard putty. It's a beige powder, mixes with water, quite sandable in 2-3 hours, and dirt-cheap. The horn flares will be the most challenging of the entire project. I didn't know it at the time, but Altec scored the back of the ply used to make the flares, which makes it much easier to bend. I didn't, and WOW, what a challenge that was. Heed the old adage, measure twice, cut once.

    As to the speakers - stick to the original available from several on-line auctions.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Also, I forgot - patience, patience, patience.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ok.... a few pointers.....

    Use 3/4 furniture grade plywood (9 layers at
    least).

    spline-miter the joints and also reinforce
    the inside corners behind the miters.

    Transfer the radius of the curved flares
    to the lower flare and inside-top of the
    cabinet, and route a groove so the curved
    flares can slide in.

    For the curved flares, make sure the grain
    pattern of the 1/4 plywood (luan or birch)
    flows vertically.

    Make sure you cut all the cabinet tops
    and sides FIRST (including mitering and
    making the groove for the spline) and route
    the grooves BEFORE you assemble the carcass
    (tops and sides).

    For the backs, do a two-panel implementation
    like the original A7's to help in making
    the cabinet sturdy.

    Mike

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Do all of the smaller enclosures use 1/4" stock for the curved parts of the horn? I am talking about the A7 the 817 the 816. I don't think that I have ever seen that dimension on a drawing. I was under the assumption that the A7, at least, used 3/8" stock. Please, someone set me straight on this issue. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cddeluca@telocity.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The horn flare material thickness is rarely explicitly designated in the plans I have. I have one plan for an 825 (two-piece back) cabinet that shows the flare to be 3/8" plywood. The drawing is appended to AN-12, though I don't think it is part of the original document. I have a 210 cabinet drawing that does not give the flare material thickness, but indicates that it is to be kerf-bent. It scales to 3/8" thick, but I'm not sure that's worth much.

    FWIW, I've used 3/8" bending Meranti for several Altec-style 31" radius horn flares. It's worked well for me, and seems to fit into the general dimensional allowances in the original drawings.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi!

    OK my mistake.... yes, the flare material it
    3/8, but getting it to bend, you will need
    to cut kerfs in it to make it flexible.

    So, why not use 1/4 material and force it in
    the groove?

    groovy!!

    Mike

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To whoever cares: I have owned 210 cabinets and the curved horn pieces are 3/4" plywood with saw kerfs 2" apart. I have very detailed plans for the 210 and it also specifies 3/4" plywood with saw kerfs 2" apart. I do not remember how deep the kerfs were and the detailed plans do not specify.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member pizzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi

    The A7 restoration is underway.

    www.pizzazzimages.com

    under 'mikes photos' there is a link
    to A7 restoration.

    I will post progress as I go along.

    I have 4 cabinest to restore.


    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.